[GeoStL] Re: Using GPS on planes

  • From: "Bruce S" <bruces1321@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:03:52 -0600

-

The Rhino is one that is not allowed to be used on planes because of its radio capabilities. To get the gps to work on plane all I do is sit in window seat and put gps up near window. Most of the time I get satellites in about the normal reception time (a minute or 2)

Bruce

From: "TKLNHL" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Using GPS on planes
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:09:52 -0600

-
Any hints on how to get it work on planes? My hubby just flew from here to
Dulles -- not sure what kind of plane. Something small enough that it
required 6 people in front to get up and move to the back in order to
redistribute the weight ... He said he had the GPS (Garmin Rhino 120 with
the maps loaded) with him and tried turning it on but never got a satellite
lock. He went on to say he only tried it a few times because, coincidentally
(?), every time he turned it one within about 45 seconds the pilot would
incessantly page for the flight attendant. He'd turn it off and a few
seconds later the page would stop. On. Start. Off Stop. He'll be coming back
sometime Thursday...

Nancy