[GeoStL] Re: Using Easy GPS and GSAK

  • From: "tklnhl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:06:01 -0500

-
Thanks for the help Bruce.   And thanks for the verification that I wasn't
doing something wrong , or losing what's left of my mind LOL.

What I finally did was save it twice. Not very efficient, but as usual I'm
in a hurry.

Apparently the files should be saved before opening.
I saved it from the email once with name like ArkansasGsak and then as
ArkansasEGPS.
If I open it from email before saving, then EasyGPS opens it first and
destroys it.

I just have to make sure that when I save the new PQ that I'm using the same
names so it writes over the old stuff.

I really like the GSAK ability to turn the waypoints into a MapSource file.
We'll be cachin' with the big kids before this is all over with -- maybe
Santa will leave a PDA under the tree.

I've just started working with the GSAK flagging and subset option --  so
I'm looking forward to tonight's after-midnight dilemmas.

Aren't topozone satellite maps by subscription/membership only?

Thanks!
Nancy

From: "Bruce S" <bruces1321@xxxxxxxxxxx>

-
Nancy,
   The problem you have is that if you save a gpx file from EasyGPS it
strips away the "good stuff".  There are actually two different formats of
gpx files, the one from the pocket queries, and the one you get if you just
download from gc.com (stripped down version).  EasyGPS/ExpertGPS use/save
the stripped down version.  If all you do is open the gpx file in EasyGPS
and do not save it then you will have no problem.  It is only during the
save that the file gets converted to the strippped down version... you can
tell this by looking at the size of the file... the original pocket query
gpx file might be 2 megs or so, the stripped down version will be 50k.  If
you load the file first into the gsak database before going into EasyGPS you
should have no problem.

Bruce

>From: "tklnhl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
>-
>Had GSAK running fine. Previously had been using EasyGPS. Used EasyGPS
>again to compare the two and it seems to have become the "Default" for
>opening PQs.  So, when I try to open the same file with GSAK none of "View
>offline" information is there -- just the name and coordinates, not the
>description and logs. Usually, before being able to get to that point, a
>warning pops up reporting  a corrupted file or database and will clean it
>self up.  GSAK works minus the "good stuff."
>Also, satellite maps..  didn't those maps used to pinpoint the coordinates
>with a red x or crosshair.. and now they don't.  Haven't used those too
>much in a LONG time, but I seem to remember being able to convert the
>coordinates to  xx.xxxxx and then pinpointing the coordinate.
>
>Thanks!
>Nancy

Subject field