[GeoStL] Re: Using Easy GPS and GSAK

  • From: "Bruce S" <bruces1321@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 08:42:04 -0500

-
Nancy,
   The problem you have is that if you save a gpx file from EasyGPS it
strips away the "good stuff".  There are actually two different formats of
gpx files, the one from the pocket queries, and the one you get if you just
download from gc.com (stripped down version).  EasyGPS/ExpertGPS use/save
the stripped down version.  If all you do is open the gpx file in EasyGPS
and do not save it then you will have no problem.  It is only during the
save that the file gets converted to the strippped down version... you can
tell this by looking at the size of the file... the original pocket query
gpx file might be 2 megs or so, the stripped down version will be 50k.  If
you load the file first into the gsak database before going into EasyGPS you
should have no problem.

Bruce

>From: "tklnhl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "Geocache STL List" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [GeoStL] Using Easy GPS and GSAK Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:44:53
>-0500
>
>-
>Had GSAK running fine. Previously had been using EasyGPS. Used EasyGPS
>again to compare the two and it seems to have become the "Default" for
>opening PQs.  So, when I try to open the same file with GSAK none of "View
>offline" information is there -- just the name and coordinates, not the
>description and logs. Usually, before being able to get to that point, a
>warning pops up reporting  a corrupted file or database and will clean it
>self up.  GSAK works minus the "good stuff."
>Also, satellite maps..  didn't those maps used to pinpoint the coordinates
>with a red x or crosshair.. and now they don't.  Haven't used those too
>much in a LONG time, but I seem to remember being able to convert the
>coordinates to  xx.xxxxx and then pinpointing the coordinate.
>
>Thanks!
>Nancy
>the Subject field

Subject field