[GeoStL] Re: Username Lockdown On May 15, Upgrade will require restricting username changes

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:01:01 -0500

-
Nice.  Cripple the functionality of a major
hobby web site to support the customization
(inflexibility?) of a mysterious, 3rd party
application.  I smell the repeat of gc.com maps.
> The technical issue relates to a fundimental
>  part of their application that stores usernames
>  in the database outside of the account data.
> This means that if we did make username
> changes in our account database it would
>  require a tremendous effort to automatically
> update the other system with the username change

Tremendous Effort?  They've either made another
bad business decision or have hired the wrong
consultants.  It's child's play to keep a list of
names up-to-date.

Groundspeak doesn't seem to be learning from
their mistakes.  They are out of touch.  They
continually fall into the trap of being a slave
to their software applications.  And all members
suffer.