[GeoStL] Re: Updating GPS Software

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:27:53 -0500

- I have a 60CS, so I cannot help you with your unit, but the warnings sound all to familiar. Anytime you update firmware like this, you are going to get all the dire warnings like this. Since you are basically doing a brain transplant, if it isn't finished, the unit is basically going to be brain dead. I am not sure what the almanac stuff is, but everything I care about is in MapSource and I can load that into the unit after I update, so that is no big deal for me. Don't know if the eTrex is the same.

Just be sure you have fresh batteries and everything is working before doing the update. You don't want the batteries going out in the middle of a process like this. Other than that, it is like buying the unit new. They don't warn you that it doesn't have your data intact, and if you back up your data and can reload it like you can with the MapSource / 60CS combination, then there is nothing to worry about. Besides, look at it as a sort of "spring cleaning" operation. :-)

Sarah Chisholm wrote:
I was reading an article about updating the software in my Garmin. Question: How do I tell what version of software is installed in my GPS? I bought my eTrex Legend last year in October. The latest version for my unit is 3.70 and I have no idea what version I have or if I should update. The up date page has all these warnings:

  • Reverting back to previously released versions will clear user memory.
  • Users are strongly urged to back up any user data they wish to save.
  • WARNING: If your current software version is 2.50 or lower, this software will clear all unit data including alamanac information. Back up all user data before upgrading. After installation is complete, place unit with a clear view of the sky for 15-30 minutes to re-acquire almanac data.
  • WARNING: If this software is uploaded to a device other than that for which it is designed, you will not be able to operate that device.
  • If attempts to upload software fail, you may need to return the device to Garmin® for service.
    Any ideas on how to tell what version I have or other advice?

    Thanks, Sarah (Crowesfeat30)
    **************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field