[GeoStL] Re: Updated maps RE: Re: MOGA caches

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:17:32 -0500

- Jim,

Not sure whether just downloading to ANY GPS is going to be a test of whether it works on the CO. I have a feeling that all of the extra geocaching stuff that is built into it might be what is breaking its back. GSAK might be "normalizing" it into a well formed GPX with all of the required elements included. As I mentioned in my other post, there is a key element missing in the GPX produced by ExpertGPS, and that is the name of the waypoint. That is what causes MapSource to "renumber" as Mike puts it. I suppose all that was originally intended for the "label" element was that it appear on the map rather than the waypoint name. In ExpertGPS, if you don't provide the name, it defaults to the label. Obviously if you get it from MapSource or GC.com, it is going to have a waypoint name, and the Garmin software was obviously coded upon that assumption. No harm if you use the direct USB connection to the GPS. It supplies the name when called upon which is defaulted to the label value. It sounds like the CO is loaded by copying the GPX file instead of by stream from the USB cable. Otherwise none of this would seem to be that much of a problem. But then, I am making my own assumption here based on the screen shots I saw of the CO geocaching functions.

Anyway, in those nice screen shots of the geocaching stuff, I see what looks like the description that appears on GC.com. Now, that is also part of the GPX schema. That is what you see if you tell GSAK not to go online for the cache description. However, I don't think there is any provision for entering that in ExpertGPS, so it is sorta up for grabs as to what is "standard" GPX. Coincidently, MapSource doesn't allow entry of that kind of stuff either, so it seems logical to assume that although this is a geocaching feature, if the CO accepts a GPX file produced by MapSource, then those element are indeed optional and don't need to be there. So it appears that the only element that is the real show stopper may be the name, and that is fixable without much of a problem at all. Certainly a whole lot less work than manually downloading the GPX for each cache, then merging them together.

Jim Greene wrote:
All,
 One thing that I tried was to use the "Send To GPS" button on the cache pages, then when I had done it for all 60 caches, I could retrieve them as a GPX file or into GSAK. Of course GSAK receives them as "other" but I switched them to "Traditional" and had a nice export file with the island names I could download to a GPS. Unfortunately, I figured this out at the last minute, and didn't have time to use it for the event, since all the maps were printed. It is something to consider for next year's event.

Strider

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Michael Griffin <mike.griffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
Nice of you to volunteer. However, the GPX file that expertGPS creates
is not recognized by the Colorado. This is a problem with the Colorado
and not the file. GC.com has their own XML they do and it, along with
Mapsource, are the only GPX files that it works with.

We will need to see if we can get a GPX generated from GC.com on caches
that have not been activated yet.  If we can't, we will hand you the
sheet and you can manually enter them. Either that, or Garmin needs to
correct the GPX load to accept "standard" GPX files from any software
besides their own and GC.com.

The problem we have with using Mapsource is it renumbers all the caches.
I have no idea why, it just does.

Mike Griffin