[GeoStL] Re: Updated maps RE: Re: MOGA caches

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 02:24:53 -0500

- The GPX files are just a specialized XML format. I already wrote a program or two that created rudimentary GPX files. Forgot exactly what I was doing. Anyway, if it came to that, I should be able to take what comes out of ExpertGPS and make it into something the CO can digest. I guess that means I will have to go out and buy one. I knew if I waited long enough I could justify the purchase......

By the way, my apologies to any inconvenience my absence from MOGA may have created. I know at least Strider missed the coffee I was planning on having available. Unfortunately the flu  bug hit me hard, and I just could not make the trip. I am just now getting back to a relatively normal existence. My sleep cycle is still off as you can tell from the posting time, but getting better.

Jim Bensman wrote:
-
Hey Mike, thanks again for all the work.  It was so much fun.

Yes the best solution would be to get a PQ from gc.com.  Glenn is there
anyway that is possible?  Can a reviewer get a PQ of unapproved caches?

If not, is the send to GPS function active before the cache is approved?  If
it is, then all one would have to do is send all of them to a CO.  The send
to GPS works by writing a gpx file with the GC number as the file name on
the CO.  Actually, one could just use the gpx link and save the file to
disk.  Then you could open them all in GSAK and write a single file to load
on the COs.

The third solution is to use GSAK's add feature to enter the cache
information.  It would probably take less than an hour of cutting and
pasting.

There is no need for Garmin to allow other gpx files.  You can use
ExpertGPS, MapSource, etc, to send waypoints to the CO.  (Actually that
would have been better than placing the gpx file.)  The CO needs stuff like
the gc number, description, and hint in the file to work right.  The CO also
handles the child waypoints you get from GC.com.

After the files were loaded, I got waypoints showing up which I could go to.
But the Punch ** was in the label not the waypoint name.  Actually most
waypoints ended up without names and I think that was the problem.  When I
tried to download to MapSource or open the gpx file on the CO, I got an
error message about some non ascii symbol in the name.  When you went to
find nearest waypoint you got a list with no names.  You had to open each
waypoint to see what it was.

One more suggestion for non CO garmins would be to download them as
geocaches instead of waypoints.  Since they were downloaded as waypoints,
the ability to mark them as found and have a list of finds was lost.

Thanks again to all who worked so hard for all our fun.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!