[GeoStL] Updated maps RE: Re: MOGA caches

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 20:52:49 -0500

-
It was a great time at MOGA!!!!  Thanks to everyone who put it on.

http://webpages.charter.net/jbensman/Maps.htm

I have updated my maps to include more and better trail data and more POIs.

For those without a Garmin and will go latter or will go back, I have a
couple of pdfs that have the caches plotted on the map.  They are much
higher quality than what was given out and they have the trails.  You can
download them on my maps page.  You can also download the source files with
the tracks and waypoints I used to create the maps.

The cache files that were placed on the Colorados not only did not work
right (none of the fancy features worked), they messed things up on the CO
so badly I was not able to download tracks or waypoints.  Nor could the file
on the GPS be opened.  Fortunately, I finally figured out a way to access
the track file and could get the coordinates of the waypoints on the GPS.
So I was able to use my track files to update the trails.  The problem is
the files were not properly formatted for the CO, so I will volunteer to
make sure they are done right next year.  The problem was the files, not the
CO.

I GPSed the Prairie Loop so it is accurate.  I GPSed part of the Joanna
Trail, RGS GPSed some of it and the rest in the cache area shows up well on
GoogleEarth.  So the Joanna Trail location is accurate.  Not much shows up
on GoogleEarth on the West side so I do not have most of the mowed paths on
the maps.  Lots of stuff shows up on the East side on GoogleEarth.  I added
what I could see to the map, but beware what you see in googleEarth could be
different on the ground.  The traced map for the Log Cabin Loop is obviously
way off.  I took the track RGS gave me and made a good guess where the trail
was since he bushwacked a lot.  So don't expect that part to be accurate.
But overall the maps should now be pretty accurate.

I talked to Ranger Al who now has a 60CSX with my maps on it.  He said he is
now going to start GPSing stuff.  I am going to help him figure out how to
do it and he will give me the data.  For next year, I will volunteer to make
sure the trails get GPSed and to make sure there is a good trail map
wherever it is.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!