[GeoStL] True Friends.

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:57:33 -0600

-
http://tinyurl.com/4ekbp

Remember, a friend is one that will come bail you out of jail. A true
friend will be sitting next to you exclaiming what a durn good time y'all
had!!

November 1 by
<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/../profile/?guid=2d2650af-dddf-4384-a680-71c295d622b6>Otter

and Lemur (321 found)
The Los Angeles International Airport Police, in whose custody I just spent
the last four hours -- much of it handcuffed and in the back of a patrol
car or in a holding cell -- would like this cache, which was located in a
restricted area on a closed road next to the airport proper, archived NOW.

I could give MUCH more detail, but suffice it to say that after finding the
cache and strolling off down the closed-off road next to the airport, I was
spotted by two uniformed LAPD motorcycle officers, who detained me, then
called in the cavalry; at one point I believe there were about ten cars
present, all there for me. The FBI eventually showed up as well. None of
them had heard of geocaching, although I did eventually get them to go to
geocaching.com and read about the hobby; I think the pages they printed off
from the site were what eventually got them to realize I wasn't a
terrorist. It was a close thing, though, from what I was able to glean from
eavesdropping. I am, frankly, amazed that I'm not under arrest instead of
sitting here in my hotel room frantically writing a "should be archived"
message.

An airport perimeter the night before a national election is, evidently, a
bad place to be found strolling blithely around with a GPSr in hand.

To make a long story short, none of the law enforcement authorities were
amused by a geocache located in an area marked "restricted area, no
loitering", right next to the airport. They were astonished and amazed by
the sheer number of finds; they photocopied BOTH logbooks. EVERY SINGLE
PAGE of both logbooks. They also examined all the travel bugs. Then they
did it all over again. They were very, very, very thorough. I was one
scared cacher.

Then, when they finally let me go, they had me take the cache, and ALL the
bugs, and told me not to let it be found near the airport again. I'm
catching a plane home to Vermont in a few hours, so unfortunately that
means that all the bugs, even the ones that wanted to visit California or
points south or west, are unfortunately going to get a November trip to
Vermont.
242e5dce.jpg

So, please, so no one else goes looking for this missing cache and gets
busted as well, please ARCHIVE THIS ONE NOW.

Thank you.

Glenn

Subject field