[GeoStL] Re: Topo Maps

  • From: Brian Maddox <gowaddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 07:57:47 -0800 (PST)

-
For Missouri, you can get data from the Missouri Spatial Data Information
service (msdis.missouri.edu). They have all of the DRG's for Missouri
available online (a DRG being a georeferenced scanned USGS topo map), and
they have all of the Digital Orthophoto's (aerial photos) mosaiced together
in a per-county basis.  The DRG's are in GeoTIFF format, but most TIFF
viewers can also open them (like the Imaging under Windows, GIMP under
Windows and Unix, etc).  The county aerial mosaics are compressed via MrSid,
so you'll need to get the free viewer from Lizardtech.  Both of these are
distributed as gzip compressed tar files, so to open them under Windows
you'll need something like Winzip.

Keep in mind that the DRG's are an average of 7 to 10 meg downloads, while
the county DOQ's can be over 100 meg. This might not work so well if you have
a modem, unless you have a lot of patience :)

--- GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Check the Geo-links page on our website
> http://www.geostl.com/SLAGALinks/index.html
>
> It has a couple of sites that offer free topo's that can be saved as a
> screen print or they can be purchased too.
>

> If you have DSL or cable, a good program is ExpertGPS for $50. It will
> display both topo and satellite maps and with a fast internet connection,
> you can zoom in or out and scroll the view area in real-time.
>
> I'm sure others will give you some sites they like too.
>
> Rich

 The SLAGA E-store is closed for image repairs but this is what is there.
The SLAGA E-store  http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=SLAGA