[GeoStL] Re: Tom Sauk Reservoir Dam Breakl

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:53:20 -0600

-
It was the Johnson Shut-Ins SP superintendent and his family that was washed
away in the flood. The noon news reported their 3 and 5-year-old are at
Cardinal Glennon and the 7-month-old was in transport.  I think the prayers
helped considering they weren't killed.  I've been to the reservoir a couple
of times and found some sites with info if anyone's interested.

 I think the most interesting thing about the plant is it actually generates
at a net loss of electricity.  They pump the water up at night during the
lower-demand period and then use the water to generate electricity during
peak demand periods.

This is a site showing the liner that was installed in 2004 to prevent
leakage.

http://www.geo-synthetics.com/taum_sauk.asp

I found some info about Ameren wanting to build another similar plant in the
area a few years ago.  I wasn't aware of that.

http://www.missouri.sierraclub.org/SierranOnline/SepOct2001/12PumpStorageProjectbyDaveBedan.HTM

http://parks.missouri.org/heri0801.htm

Gale

Subject field