[GeoStL] Tips I learned Today for Respecting the Enviornment and Keeping Goecaching Safe/Fun for All Ages

  • From: slowbob@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 22:55:10 -0500 (CDT)

-
1. If there is only one way into a park and it is not very well marked, it
should be posted by the owner of the cache on the main website. Updates in
a log don't count. This saves people from using extra gas that pollutes
the enviornment driving around trying to find it and/or people/families
make take incorrect ways that (even if they don't violate public lands)
could be very hard and dangerous for some individuals to cross.

2. No cache should cause several different individuals at various times to
tear apart the ecosystem trying to find the cache. If this is happening,
regardless of whether the people are too new to be taking on this area,
because another person (other than the owner) made it a little too
difficult to find when placing it back, the cache is "innovative" and
doesn't really note that well in the description, or the cache owner seems
to no longer be maintaining the area, something needs to be done about it.
Generally, the owner of the cache should be the one to do this if it is
becoming a repetitive issue. You can raise the rank, add some clues,
change some clues, move the cache, update how its hidden, etc. But if the
cache owner is not there, since geocaching is not a solitary activity, but
a group one (just as protecting the  enviornment is not up to one person,
but a collective group), it falls upon the resposibility of the group to
somehow take care of that issue.

3. Plastic does not decompose (at least not at a rate worth mentioning).
Plastic pieces falling apart eventually become scattered and sit in the
ecosystem. Aluminum cans and beer bottles will break down before plastic
will. And this is the stuff we brag about carrying away! If we are going
to use the phrase "cache in, trash out," but leave broken plastic to sit,
it seems kinda contradictory. Most people, when their caches are reported
to be broken, wet, or in bad condition, are fixed. What about those that
are not?   If we are going to remove trash from the forests, it doesn't
make sense to leave abandoned plastic toys and containers when on one else
seems to want to take care of them.

4. A Special Kudos to those who use Containers that can be recycled when
they past their usefuless (the little triangle with the numbers in them
indicate what kind of facility can handle them), or who recycle various
types of metal containers into caches. And even more kudos to those who
use old toys, no longer used trinkets, etc to leave in caches instead of
going out and buying new 'treasures' that can't really be recycled when
they are once again discarded. When placing a cache, its great to consider
if the cache itself will one day be able to be recycled when it has worn
out or broken. For those who are unaware of the impacts of PVC on the
enviornment, please take a look at it. It is one of the worst types of
platic you can use.

I'm sure something like this has been posted before, but these were the
four points that I was really reminded of today.

Thanks,
SlowBob

Subject field