[GeoStL] Re: Tick Removal

  • From: "Timothy Hunt" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:51:04 -0500

-
nope

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

On 5/11/07, Laura D <festive@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
This was on a mom's list I am on.  I figure you guys are the experts on
this.  Would this method work?

==============================

Tick Removal

Please forward to anyone with children or hunters, etc!! thanks!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share --And it
really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a
tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes
difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head
full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the
soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few
seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck
to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every
time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic
for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging
in any way.  I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had
one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers.  She used
this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"