[GeoStL] Thomas Jefferson Caching event (and other things)

  • From: "Timothy Hunt" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:02:29 -0500

-
First, some administrivia - I'm not receiving posts to the list, so
I'm having to remember to look at the archives.  I've tried unsetting
vacation, in case that was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be.
If anyone wants to help diagnose this, please contact me.

Next, a little related to this, in that yes, I'd love to do food
sometime in the area, but again, not getting messages to the list, so
if anyone wants to do this, contact me directly.

Third, I'm not commuting from St Charles - we bought a house in St
John at the start of the year.

ANd now, the real reason for this...

 I've talked to the Student Activities organizer, and got a bit of a
better understanding of what I think I would like to do.

We will be limiting the total group to 30 people.  20 students and 10
adults.  We would try and have each group be 6 people, 2 adults, of
which one would be SLAGA and one TJ, and one male and one female.  and
4 students.  It's entirely possible we won't get 20 students (as that
is 25% of the student population!)  On the assumption that I can get
appropriate staff coverage (and I think I can), we could get by with
just 4 SLAGA people (as I'll count myself in that group, being
familiar with geocaching), though the gender mix might need to be
tweaked.  We'd also at minimum need a total of 4 GPSrs (in addition to
mine), though additional ones would also be useful, I'm sure.

Now, I've not been to a Geocaching 101 event, but I'm guessing this is
likely to be the best way to handle it.  Many of the students will
have laptops, but they are Mac laptops.  I too now have a mac laptop,
and I have not yet investigated how to get my yellow eTrex to connect
to the MacBook I have (anyone have experience with this who can give
me advice?)  We will also have some Mac desktops available that I can
install software on if need be.

So, one saturday, we'd teach the students what geocaching is (there
are classrooms available at the school - let me know what facilities
whoever might need...)  Then, afterwards we'd go out to wherever we
decide we're going to go.  Each group shoudl try and do the same set
of caches, but in a different order, I guess.  It would be preferred
if the caches were within walking distnace of each other, to keep
driving to a minimum.

Can someone give me an idea how much the "talk" part is likely to
take?  One thing that does occur to me is that is may be possible to
arrange it so that we have the talk in the morning, then do a lunch at
the school (which I might be able to arrange as free, but no
guarentees yet... Need to talk to people), and then in the afternoon
go out to do the actual group hunts.

Lastly is when to do it.  Looking at the calendar, and knowing we
don't want the weather to be too bad...  it looks like possible
near-ish dates would be sept 23 or October 28.  the Sept 23rd date
might be a little soon to get things organized.  Because of weather
preferences that were expressed to me, I'm guessing if we can't do it
by October 28, then it may have to wait until the spring.  I'd prefer
to get it done this side of the new year if possible.

I'm going to try to remember to check on the archive site, but can't
guarentee it...

Comments, suggestions, etc welcome.

Timothy