[GeoStL] This tops Hiker Bob at Titus Hollow!

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:42:44 -0500

Believer has added a log to your cache (Hutchins Creek Cache). You can visit
the cache at the following link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11358

User comments:

Well, I don't really know where to begin.

I was on a family herping outing & had planned to do some caching also but,
the others in my group (newbie cachers) aren't as gung ho as me & didn't
want to cache in the dark so, I headed out on my own. I found Cache with a
view while it was still light & then headed to Inspiration point. I finished
this on in the dark & got a bit turned around but, that's another story. I
then headed for this cache by way of Hutchins creek road. I DO NOT recommend
this road for anyone without a 4x4! I was in my moms mini van. I got within
.25 miles of the cache when the road decided to cross the creek. I stopped &
got out to inspect the creek & decided it wasn't very deep but, still I was
skeptical about trying to cross it. I finally decided to cross it after
seeing a truck coming from the other direction pass through it easily. Man
was that a mistake!!! I was nearly across when the van died due to the water
being over the tail pipe. After about 20 minutes of starting the van moving
a couple of inches & then having it die again I finally got out. At first
the van was running very rough but it soon smoothed out & I was on my way
back to camp when suddenly I heard the sound of breaking metal & the engine
died. I had thrown a rod through the oil pan!

I caught a ride back to the camp sight, & had my dad pull tow the van back
with his truck.

We ended up having to rent a uhaul truck with a trailor to pull the van the
250 miles back home.

All we wanted was the trailor but, the guy @ uhaul refused to rent it to us
because he didn't think my dad's gmc pickup could handle the weight. At
first the guy was going to charge us $211.00 for the truck, $88 for the
trailor & then $160 for deposits. But, dad talked him into taking $150
total. [:D}

On top of that I now have to replace the engine in the van!

Needless to say, we didn't do as many caches or as much herping as we'd
planned.

Oh well, I will be back for this one another time!

God bless!

Believer Quincy, IL