[GeoStL] This has got to stop!!

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:39:59 -0500

-

> Dear Glenn
>
> Please keep up the good work.

> <snip>
>
> Thank you
>
> Adeptus

Adeptus hit it right on the head. SLAGA and this website was started for the
enjoyment of our hobby/sport of geocaching and related topics. A place to
talk about caching, trips, which GPS to buy, etc. We all had fun weather we
went alone or as a group. "The Local News" was a cache page about what was
going on in our area and cachers could make notes and ask questions. When
the maillist was added, it provided a quick means for a discussion of a
group cache hunt next weekend or who is interested in beta testing a new
cache someone is placing. Lots of good discussions and ideas went through
this way.

It was NOT intended as a sounding board for religion, politics, the war, pro
choice/pro life, ethnic groups, heritage, etc. Those are not geocaching
related and have no place in this maillist. As Adeptus said, there are many
Usenet groups that cater to any topic or subject imaginable, and that is
where those discussions should be kept. If there is a topic in a newsgroup
that I am interested in, I can join it and would expect many different views
that I agree and disagree with. If it get too "off the wall", I can
unsubscribe and forget about it. We are subscribed to a geocaching
"newsgroup" here and shouldn't have to unsubscribe because of all the "off
topic" messages. I am not anti any of the above topics, and we all have
thought and views about them, but this just isn't the place for them.

An occasional "pray for someone we know who is sick or hurt", a "happy
birthday or anniversary", a "congratulations on finding xxx caches" are fine
but we don't need to start picking every message apart and look for hidden
meanings. We are constantly losing  members to the maillist because of all
the bickering that is going on.

We are making inroads with the state, county, and local parks, also the US
*National Forest Service and the MO Dept. of Conservation along with other
individuals. I would be afraid to ask any of my contacts to join our
newsgroup (maillist) to follow along in our exciting, informative,
geocaching discussions and happy events. I think it would give them quite a
different view of our group than the one we are trying to portray to them.

Glenn has the ability to moderate this list, but that shouldn't be required.
We are all adults and should be able to follow simple rules and not get
everyone so agitated. We all know you can't argue politics and religion, and
several other topics too. If Glenn has to read every message that goes
through here and approve or delete it, then this list is not doing the job
and maybe we should drop it.

We need to get the FUN back in caching; a place where we can get away from
everyday problems. Those problems and topics do not fit in with what we are
trying to provide here. Let's have fun and enjoy ourselves again as a group.

Rich