[GeoStL] Re: Tennessee Cemetery & Burial Site Laws

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:19:55 -0600

-
I think this is just a symptom of the private property issue.  I suspect
just like parking lots, most people do not consider cemeteries private
property.  I think geocaching.com should do a better job on explaining what
kinds of places are usually private property and pointing out permission is
required.

I also like Mike's suggestion of having a form that has to be filled out for
private property.  Then you could have the form on the cache page.  Any
chance this could happen?

I remember a cache (I think in Bloomington IL).  It was on a golf course.
To get to it you had to cross a no trespassing sign.  If you followed the
directions in the cache, you crossed a no trespassing sign.  I did not do
the cache as there was no way to get to it without crossing a no trespassing
sign.  I was shocked at how many people just ignored the no trespassing
sign.  While after I reported the no trespassing sign the cache was
archived, I felt all the finds should have been deleted.

There was a cache in a Denver shopping mall.  I went to it.   There were
buildings, a road, then a wall with a no trespassing sign on one side, then
some bushes and grass on the other side of the wall.  The GPS zeroed out at
the no trespassing sign.  The cache page did not mention the no trespassing
sign and there were about 100 finds.  I left and posted a note pointing out
the no trespassing sign and asking if there was permission, and indicating
it needed to be addressed on the cache page.  They responded by deleting the
note and ignoring the issue.  So I posted a should be archived with a
picture of the no trespassing sign.  That got deleted and I reposted.
Someone else was also posting it should be shut down and contacting gc.com
and getting pretty nasty when the response was to delete the log.  The CO
Administer said the cache was on the side of the wall without the no
trespassing sign but would not address if they had permission to place it
there from the shopping center.  Nor would CO administrator require them to
address the no trespassing sign on the cache page.  I think there were also
threats if we posted more complaints about the failure to address the no
trespassing sign we would get banned.  I think that might have happened to
the other person.  The cache eventually got archived. Its been a while since
this happened so the details may be a bit wrong.

Its doing stupid things like this that risks us getting banned.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"