[GeoStL] Re: Suing the government

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:04:58 -0500

-
I dont understand this... I think that I own that land along with every
other US citizen. I pay their salaries, I pay for the land maintenance, I
pay for the right to use the land. I follow their rules and do not drive in
areas that I am not suppose to, I pay more money if I want to camp at one of
their sites that I built with my money.. For the most part, I do everything
they ask.

If I want to hike in Indian Creek Wilderness Area, gather mushrooms, make
sasafrass tea, I can without permission. But, if I place one small box
behind a tree in that same area, someone tells me that will damage the area
and therefore it cannot be done. The point you are missing here is not that
it's a game... It's more that they can tell what NOT to do without any
reasoning. This is because they don't understand what we do... I agree with
Jim that they should be taken to court over this.. If they released details
and reasons of why we cannot use US land, then perhaps it would be
different. We would at least know where we stand and can see their point of
view. The fact is they have no reason other than it's easier to say no and
hope we go away..

If I pay for something, I expect to use it. The government does not own this
land, they manage it so idiots won't destroy it. They just don't want the
added responsibility of managing caches too... They know it is just as
illegal to deny caching on public land as it is hunting and fishing. So I
agree with Jim that they should get a wake up call and I would gladly add my
name to the suit. It boils down to lazy porkers not willing to do their job.
They cannot permit me from gathering mushrooms in any area, they shouldn't
be allowed to prevent me from caching in any area.

Mike (Not a Liberal - Very Conservative but a darn good tax payer!)