[GeoStL] Re: Suing the government

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:19:48 -0500

-
The situation with the NPS cannot get any worse than it is.  So your point
eludes me.  What more can they do than just say it is not allowed anywhere
and refuse to address the issue?  How could there possibly be a worse
relationship than this?  IMHO, suing will make the situation better-it can
only improve. My bet is if they get sued, they would settle and agree to
comply with the law.

One must remember, we are dealing with the Federal Government, not bees.  I
would rather not sue, so here is an opportunity to prove me wrong.  Go ahead
and show us how to get the NPS to allow caching with honey.  No one else has
been able to.

As to concerns about other agencies, my experience has been it makes others
think twice about doing the same thing. If people roll over when the
government illegally bans geocaching, what stops other agencies from doing
the same thing?

It may be just a game, but our tax dollars pay for the upkeep of these areas
and they are public lands.  We have laws they are not abiding by.  So there
is more than just a game involved here.  Its our freedom and our right to
expect the government to obey the law.

If agencies illegally banning geocaching on public lands for no rational
reason is no big deal to you, then how about not caching on ANY public
lands?  Letting NPS get away with it, puts us on a slippery slope with other
agencies.  If you think very little good could come out of opening NPS land
to geocaching, then what good is there to caching on any public land?

Look at the Mark Twain National Forest and Wilderness.  They were removing
caches claiming it was not allowed in Wilderness.  Others tried to get the
Forest Service to allow it.  But they all failed.  I got them to allow it.
Why?  Because I have sued them many times.  The government listens to you
much closer when they know you are a credible threat to sue.  Unfortunately,
this is a reality of government bureaucracy.  But, go ahead and get the NPS
to allow geocaching with honey.  There is nothing I would love better than
you proving me wrong.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Barbara Hunt
> Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 11:55 AM
> To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Suing the government
>
>
> -
> I'm with Jen. There's very little good that will come of a
> lawsuit. In fact, other agencies and parks departments may
> see that and decide that the GAME is not as much trouble
> as it's worth, and we'll be kicked out of more places!
>
> Echoing Jen, "Besides, it's a GAME!"
>
> Barbara
>
> >Just because we have a right to sue, and just because
> >they have no legal
> >justification for denying us the use of their land,
> >doesn't mean we SHOULD
> >sue them. You know the old saying, you attract more bees
> >with honey...
> >
> >Besides, its a GAME!
>
> ******************************************************************
> **********
>  Our WebPage!  Http://WWW.GeoStL.com
>  Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching
>  Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html
>
> ******************************************************************
> **********
> To unsubscribe from this list:
>  send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
> 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field
>
>
>
>

 ****************************************************************************
 Our WebPage!  Http://WWW.GeoStL.com  
 Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching
 Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html 
 ****************************************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list:
 send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the 
Subject field




Other related posts: