[GeoStL] State Parks

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <brawnybear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:54:54 -0600

It is very sad when you compare our state parks to those in other states
that have embraced geocaching. We have some great state parks but I think
they are missing out on the Eco-Tourism business because they do a bad job
of promoting. I remember when they had the different challenges. My all-time
favorite was the passport series where you could earn prizes by exploring
the different parks.

Now it seems, they have let another great opportunity slip by.

Check out this link to Texas State Parks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/activities/outdoor_recreation/geocache/

After you have marveled at their embrace of Geocaching, take a look at the
activities page for Mo State Parks..

http://mostateparks.com/activities

It really saddens me that we have spent so much time promoting it to the
State Parks, working with them on many different levels, individually,
groups, etc.. and we still don't get a mention for Geocaching. We had MOGA
there one year and then they totally missed the boat as it expanded into a
money maker for the region. Everywhere we have taken MOGA, we have generated
an incredible revenue stream for local businesses and public lands. Camping
for MOGA events has offered a generous amount of revenue for the Corps and
State Parks. We managed to squeeze one in at Twain State Park, but it had to
be sponsored by ACOE.

I really don't understand the mindset behind it. No growth is no growth.
What do you have to do to bring in revenue? This should be the question
Missouri State Parks should be asking itself? What would attract thousands
of people each year, especially in the off-season, where they would stay
multiple days in the park at campgrounds, resorts and cabins?

It has been proven time and time again, have a dense population of caches
and it will bring the cachers. Have more than they can do in one day, they
will stay overnight and spend money. The ACOE at Mark Twain Lake saw an
increase in the amount of traffic after our first MOGA. Indian Creek
averaged about 175000 tire rolls per year over a 10 year period. After MOGA,
that number increased to over 250000. Densely populated caching areas, in
this case .25 miles apart on average, bring in the cachers and their
families!

In summary my good friends in the caching community, I think it is time we
enlighten our stewards in Jeff City and let them know we want to see
Geocaching programs similar to the ones in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and
several other states who have set up a great Geocaching activity for
families and serious outdoor enthusiasts. We are missing a great opportunity
to highlight some of the best parks in the country.

Sorry for the rant.. I feel better now.

Brawny Bear

Mike