[GeoStL] Re: St Peters Update: Good News, Everyone

  • From: Pam Ekey <pekey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

-
Thank you Susan and Kelly for workign for a resolution with the City of St.
Peters. I'm looking forward to some new caches in the St. Peters Parks.
Pam/Tribble
Susan Ring <susanmring@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
This has taken me WAY too long to send to you all, but a sick kid and a big
test got in the way, sorry.
On Monday, Oct. 19, I met again with the head of parks and also the head of
the ranger division. Also attending was Kelly of KBW Trackers, who is the
wonderful person who spoke infront of the aldermanic meeting to give the
push to the city to revisit the idea of caching in the park system. It was
a very successful meeting.

The Rangers are going to sponsor geocaching as a program. I am going to
work with them to develop a series of multicaches somewhat similar to the
one in Whitecliff park in Crestwood. Each multi will consist of some
waypoints that may be either virtuals or some sort of distinctive tag or
marker (I get to design maybe). These WP's would lead to a final cache that
will probably be located in the Rec-Plex. The good news is that the final
will be an actual box with prizes, trinkets, maybe coupons of something like
free dippin dots at the Rec-Plex. So I think we will have a real multi
cache that GC.com will be OK with. The Rec-Plex is not a commercial
establishment and it has extensive hours, so I don't think it will be a
problem having the finals located there.

Rick, the guy in charge of the rangers, is very pro-GC, and will give us
free reign to be as imaginative as we want, as long as he gets to OK the
WP's. He even is OK with WP's off the paved trails, again, as long as he
approves. I will work as the liaison between the rangers and the GC world.
They would like caches of varying difficulties: some for little kids, some a
bit more challenging, maybe some brain teasers for adults even.

It's a baby step, since we will still not be placing "boxes in the woods",
but it's a huge improvement over the last meeting. Apparently, as long as
they have control they're OK with assuming the liability. Rick hinted that
if this plan goes well, maybe the next step might be to allow microcaches.

Now, as you can imagine, this will be a huge undertaking, but a fun job. If
there are any St. Peters cachers on the list who would like to help, let me
know. I will be contacting the StP people I know who are not on the list.
Spread the word, this is a great opportunity to plan some really cool
caches.

Nice to have some happy news after reading about the ridiculous bomb scare
thing. We owe a BIG thankyou to KBW Trackers, who got this ball rolling.

Susan

Subject field

Subject field