[GeoStL] St. Louis County Park project

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GC-maillist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:20:51 -0600

-
For those that got to the Christmas party late, left early, or didn't make it,
we invited 3 of the St. Louis county park rangers to join us in the festivities
and eat with us.
After eating, but before the didgeridoo hoedown, Ted, one of the rangers,
talked to us about a project he and the Parks dept. is working on and would
like our help and input.

The plan is to have an "outdoor museum" throughout all 66 of the St. Louis
county parks. The "museum" would consist of waypoints of unique natural
features, springs, large rock bluffs, historical objects such as old
foundations or remains, etc.They would like us to provide them with the
coordinates of these features and objects as we find them searching for caches
or when we are in the parks. Their plan is to catalog all these locations and
provide that information on the County park website, available to the public,
schools, and anyone interested in searching out the objects. As Ted said,
"instead of something in a museum behind glass, they could see it in it's
natural surroundings".

Obviously there are sensitive areas in some of the parks, and some of the
features will not be made public, but that is for them to decide. I have taken
the waypoints he passed out at the party and loaded them into EasyGPS as a LOC
file if anyone wants to see them.

I guess for now, if anyone locates anything they feel should be included in the
project, send me an email with a short description and coordinates, or a LOC
file, which I'd prefer. I'll combine everything and forward the latest LOC file
as I get the data.

This will be a unique project for the St. Louis County parks with very little
cost, and it's great that we were asked to participate. This is the type of
project that could easily grow to other cities and states, and it all came
about because of geocaching.

Get those cards and letters started!

Rich

Subject field