[GeoStL] Spoilers

  • From: "Bernie" <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:05:25 -0600

  Glenn, I follow and agree with everything you are saying, BUT the theme of
my cache is "Magic Number". If anyone reveals that number, I guarantee you
it will be deleted in a heartbeat.  Thanks Bernie

  - OK,  but the " Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or
links." Is part of the standard cache page. I think the fact that you say
NOT to mention spoilers is good. Now, one mans random cache note may be
another's spoiler. It is hard to control every thing that folks put in a log
and it is hard to determine just what is or isnt a spoiler before hand.

  For example;
    a.. "I parked at xxx.xxx and walked next to the creek and walked to the
big tree and found the cache under a pile of rocks" sounds like a good clue
but maybe there was no creek, tree or rocks. Ya just cant tell. OR
    b.. "I parked next to it and walked right at it"  might mean its an easy
5 minute cache or "I really parked next to the trail head and  walked
directly to it via the 5 mile trail".
    c.. How about something like "I have walked on this trail before, sure
looks familiar". I have walked on a lot of trails before and everything
looks familiar I don't know that  it gives anything away to tell you that I
found it to be  familiar. That may mean absolutely nothing to you, unless
you were with me before.
  You as a cache placer would know what is correct but a cacher new to the
cache never knows what is real or bogus.

  Now, a larger issue and tougher question after that is,
   "Do I delete a cachers log because *I*, as cache owner, think there is a
spoiler in the log?"

  The answer is, "It depends..."
    a.. Is the passage *really* a spoiler to someone that dosn't know the
area?
    b.. How much friction do you want to cause in the community?
    c.. Have you tried to have the poster edit out the questionable part
first?

  I can tell 'ya that if you delete my log, I will not be a happy hiker.  If
you delete enough of several peoples logs, you may not be a happy cacher
either.  If however, you contact me and let me know that I have
inadvertently given away some vital national security information, I would
be a little more willing to edit out the leaky parts.

  hope this answers more questions than it raises.

  glenn

  At 12:47 PM 3/13/2003 -0600, Bernie wrote:

    -
      Glenn, I have a question about spoilers. When I wrote up my cache I
said
    no spoilers allowed, but when you read the logs, at the top it says
    "spoilers may be included". That is not what I wanted.  Thanks Bernie