[GeoStL] Re: Setting up a geocaching laptop.

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:06:31 -0500

-
No, actually this is exactly what I am looking for. How people use all the stuff that we have at our disposal to get the job done.

thanks,

At 01:04 PM 9/6/2005, you wrote:
- I can't really add a whole lot to it. I put my pocket queries in to GSAK where I have several databases set up. Databases along my route. Then I export the different databases in to S & T (or Map Point). This will put push pins ( different colors for each database) on the map for all the cache locations. Then I make a route from point A to point B. This is a highlighted route just like AAA puts on their maps. Then I hook a second GPS to my laptop which puts a little red car on top of my route. As I'm tooling down the highway I can see the caches that are close to my route miles ahead of my current position. I also export the databases out of GSAK in to my PDA using Cache Mate. The cache pages can be read in GSAK while I'm still in my truck and the PDA I carry in to the woods with me.
This is probably more than what you asked for, but you got it anyway. Bernie.

Glenn wrote:
-
I am trying to put together a recourse page on how to setup a laptop for geocaching. What works, what is needed and how you do it.

I know that Myotes navigates pretty good with Street atlas, Steve brown generally has more computer power running than the space shuttle, Bernie managed to make it to Canada and back and I cant get anything to work right half the time.

I cant get GSAK to talk to the GPS. Some folks quite trying and use mapsource on the laptop for waypoint loading and management. I bet there are a million different setup variations. If I cant get this stuff to work right, I bet there are quite a few folks that haven't a clue as to where to begin.

So, What works and what is in y'all "bag of laptop tricks"

**************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field

---------------- Glenn, Missouri Geocachers Assoc http://www.MoGeo.com *THE* Forums for Mo & Ks. http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?

Dave's Handy Hiding Hints http://www.ratisher.com/geocache_hiding.htm
 MOGA 2005 Winners ...  Check it out!  http://moga.geostl.com