[GeoStL] Re: Seperate email lists? And comment to "forums" emails since my last post.......Was: Forums

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:15:58 -0500

-
> From: Sara Gomer <outdoorlady79@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:22:05 -0700 (PDT)

>> I thought this group was suppose to be about geocaching in our area. Why
>> then,
>> do we have to take geocaching related topics to a new group?? Doesn't make
>> sense. Yes, there is confusion sometimes until the details get worked out
>> but isn't that what a discussion group is for???
>
> Your right it doesn't make sense and from Glenns  copy and pasted description
> over the weekend that is one of hte reasons this list was set up to begin
> with.

I'll chide in one more time regarding this topic, and then I'm done.  This is a
perspective that I haven't heard anyone mention, before now.

If you look at newsgroups on the internet in general, you'll see them quite
often
subdivided by special interest:
computers.operating_systems
computers.operating_systems.microsoft
computers.operating_systems.microsoft.windows
computers.operating_system.microsoft.windows.xp

I'd hate to have to go to one newsgroup called computers and scan
thousands of emails to find something specifically about windows XP.

Planning group hunts has become a specialized interest and, in my opinion,
deserves its own subgroup.  That gives the power to the individual geocacher
to choose the area(s) that interest them.  If 1/3 or 1/4th of all emails in this
newsgroup are about cache hunts and most people who subscribe don't care
about cache hunts, they are going to end up unsubscribing.  If your attitude
is 'who cares - let them' - what we end up losing is diverse opinions and fresh
comments.  And what we eventually end up with is only a newsgroup for
planning group hunts, anyway!.  I'd hate to lose the others, but ultimately,
you guys will determine that based on what you do, or don't do.

So, if you anyone wants to argue that planning cache hunts is meant to be
here because this newsgroup is a dumping ground for all things 'geocaching',
then I think you are being short-sighted.  And if you think that joining another
newsgroup is a 'burden' to you, then I'd hate to see you when you have to
pick up your socks and put them in the hamper.

END OF LINE

(konopapw)

Subject field