[GeoStL] Re: Sensitive areas generally RE: Good News

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 00:33:57 -0500

-
Dru, entering a cave can cause bats to perish. In the case of some
endangered bats, their breeding can be disrupted and even eliminated by
someone just entering a cave even though they do not disturb anything. For
this reason, there are a lot of caves that are closed off during certain
months and a stiff fine will be handed out to those who do not follow these
rules. These caves are typically ones that the public knows about. Caves
that have been removed from maps and are not generally known are the ones
that get stumbled upon and do not have posted signs. Its good to know what
months you shouldn't enter one of these caves.

So to answer your question, YES. But, not just standing in the woods.. :-)

Mike