[GeoStL] Re: SPAM-HIGH: Re: Poison ivy in winter

  • From: "zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:21:45 -0800

During warmer months, I pretreat my hands / wrists / forearms (depending on
sleeve length) with a product called Ivy Dry. Since I started using it,
I've yet to get PI.

Regards,

Zeke (ZLA)

From: Libby Morehead <gmalibby@xxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:21:48 -0600

From: nrover@xxxxxxxxx

To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've wondered if using hand sanitizer would help or hurt with poison ivy...
I always have some on had so that I can get the moldy wet cache log smell
off my hands, but I've never used it for PI yet, seems like you would just
rub the oil into your pores faster with that stuff. Anyone else use it?

-Nathan

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Libby Morehead <gmalibby@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Jo and I use hand sanitizer after every venture into woodsy areas. Then
cortisone10 at any hint of an itch. Jo calls it a miracle drug. Even with
that we still manage to get it once in awhile but not as severely. Can't
wait to feel well enough to cache again. Maybe by New Years.
Libby

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 30, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Laura Million <laura.million21@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Also...

The vines carry the oil as I found out with my Christmas tree, the leaves
don't have to be present.

If you suspect you have been in poison ivy. Wash the affected with cool
water and lots and lots of soap. Don't use warm water because that opens
your pores and allows the oils to enter your skin faster. If you can wash
off the oil within 8 hours (I try for immediately), you will reduce the
risk of a breaking out. When I go caching in the woods, I always carry wet
wipes along, at least in the car. That way if I suspect I walked through
PI, I use one of those to wipe down immediately until I get to water.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Susan Ring <susanmring@xxxxxxx> wrote:

-

Since the "I love geocaching" thread turned into a PI in winter
discussion...

I know this is common knowledge for most folks on the list, but for those
who don't know:

The vines with the "hairy" roots are poison ivy and will give you a rash at
any time of the year if you're sensitive to PI.

I don't even touch them with gloves on for fear I'll touch the gloves to my
skin later.

 Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->

Cheers,

Nathan Rover