[GeoStL] SLAGA in the Spotlight

  • From: "Wayne Lindberg" <alindb01@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:58:01 -0600

-
Here's another way to promote Geocaching.  El Presidente John was approached
by a Girl Scout leader to teach adult leaders about Geocaching and, since it
was in my area (near Troy, MO), he asked if I could take on the task, which
I did.  I used the SLAGA presentations, along with a portion of the waypoint
course the Girl Scouts have at their camp near Cuivre River.  Pennefred
(Penny), a cacher who works with me at Qinetiq-NA, helped, which was
especially handy during the hands-on portion, teaching the ladies how to
enter waypoints into the Council's Etrex units.  Bottom line: the leaders
enjoyed the class and outdoor exercise (we heard ourselves referred to as
great new resources) and will probably be teaching more leaders in the
future.  You all can do the same for scouts in your local districts.

Also, the following was in an e-mail from a fellow Scouter who attended the
district round-table this past week.  I thought you all would be interested
to see that the local Boy Scout Council has us listed as a resource:

There is a big push by BSA and the local council to promote Geocaching and
since I overheard a couple boys talking about how the upcoming cabin
camp-out means electricity, and electricity means video games AND since we
now have a resident expert in this (Wayne), perhaps that should be our
activity for that weekend.  There are no geocaches at Beaumont itself (there
is a course at S-F), but I am certain there are many others in that area.
Perhaps we still do the pioneering on Saturday if that is already set up,
but on Sunday pack up early and do a geocache find.  A couple links they
provided:  www.geoscouting.com  www.geocaching.com  www.geocacher-u.com
www.slaga.org  www.mogageo.com

Wayne

from this