[GeoStL] Re: SLAGA awards

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jack.konecker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:15:13 -0500

RNX said:

> as an enhancement to the awards,
> how about maintaining a "best of ..."

Sounds easy, but ...

It's been tried here.  Noone could keep
a list up-to-date, let alone comprehensive.
It would be more correct to have multiple lists, like:

* Top 10 hardest caches, based on John Smith's opinion
* 5 must do caches near the arch
* The one multi-cache you shouldn't pass up
* 5-minute caches within 1 mile of highway44
* etc

The list keeper needs to watch for when
caches are added, put on hold and
archived.  They should either read all the logs
or have done the caches themselves.
I haven't seen anyone willing to spend
that much volunteer time.  And
I'd hate to publish a 'best of' list on the SLAGA
web site if it wasn't accurate.  Nothing
would irk an out-of-towner more than
a 'best of' list of archived and ill-
maintained caches.

The list keeper will also have to have a
thick-skin because some people won't
be happy that their cache isn't on the
list.  How would that type of controvery
be managed?  I wouldn't want to have
to involve the SLAGA officers - they have
more important decision to make.

At one time, I tried to get web site sections
going called 'featured geocacher of the month'
and 'featured geoccahe of the month', but it
ended up me doing 90% of the research and
all of the publishing.  Didn't think that was
fair for it to be just 'my' opinion.