[GeoStL] Re: Rend Lake

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:29:12 -0500

-
I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you more about Rend Lake.

The Corps of Engineers manages lots of land.  There is also a State Park and
a State Fish and Wildlife Area.

Real easy access-right off of I-57.

The land is mostly flat (there are some hills).  It is MUCH flatter than
Mark Twain Lake.

Some places have a really bad invasive problem (Russian Olive) which is like
the problems we have with honeysuckle around here.  So some woods can be a
nightmare to get through.  In other places they burn and control the
invassives and you have a nice open woods.  Another issue is lots of the
woods flood.

The Corps have two really nice bike trails.  One is about 4 miles long and
the other is about 7.5 miles.  They are concrete trails with many access
points and plenty of parking.  There is also a 6 mile pea gravel (not well
done-very hard to bike on!) bike trail in the State Park and Rend Lake
College.

There are also numerous parking lots for hunter access or boat ramps.

I think it would make an outstanding caching experience if the caches were
placed within about 50 feet of the ACOE bike trails and the various parking
lots.  This would allow driving caches to be placed in areas with safe
parking instead of pulling off on the shoulder.  Since there are many access
points to the bike trials, there would be plenty of nice walking/biking to
find caches.  Most parts of the trails are reasonably close to parking.
People could also shuttle vehicles from the beginning of the trails to the
end to eliminate back tracking.

I could never understand why the MOGA caches tend to be just another ammo
box in the middle of the woods requiring a bushwhack through brush.  I've
never heard anyone say they prefer that to a cache that is a nice walk not
requiring extensive bushwhacking.  Bushwhacking to a neat spot like the
Narrows or something like the Monolith once in a while would be no big deal
to me.  I think a nice walk or a neat spot is much more fun than just
another ammo box in the middle of the woods.  Maybe someone could clear it
up, but my understanding has been it is done for the competition.  But that
does not make sense since the competitors find punches not caches.  So why
not place the caches where they are a nice walk or a neat spot?

Since the area is much flatter, it would also be possible to make the
competition more about one's ability to geocache instead of one's ability to
run 7 or 8 miles cross country through brush and up and down hills.  The
courses could be set up so its mostly how fast you can find the punch
instead of how fast you can get from one punch to the other.

Anyway those are my thoughts on how a great event could be improved.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

from this