[GeoStL] Re: Rain Proof MOGA Punch Cards Idea

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:53:06 -0500

-
I think I would test this idea first. While it would certainly do better than nothing, once you punch a hole in the laminate / tape, water has a way to get at the paper via the hole. It would certainly be better lessening the damage, but it may not work as good as you expect depending on how/where the card is stored between punches.

It may work well enough to help things out though.

On 10/21/2010 12:14 PM, ZLA Solutions wrote:

I’ve only been to one MOGA and the weather was perfect so the punch cards survivedeasily. I know some people said the punch cardsstart to fall apartwhenMOGA happens during heavyrains(2009?). A thinlaminationwould probably make the cards rain proof / resistant while still letting the punches work. But that’s extra work and expense.

As a contingency plan, if rain is forecast, bring a bunch of clear packing tape rolls and let the competitors apply tape to both sides of their cards. The punches should still work. The cards should survive the rain. The extra workis passed on to the competitors.

Just food for thought.

Regards,

Zeke (ZLA)

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->