[GeoStL] Re: Questions for the group

  • From: Jack Anderson <pandyandy3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

Susan,

  I have recently flown with my GPS that has lithium batteries in it and also a
35mm film canister with lithium batteries in it.  Had no problem going through
security check points, just left them in my carry on luggage or in my coat
pocket, all went through the scanner fine.
  As for using it while in flight, I had no problem with Northwest but an
American Airlines stewardess told me they are not allowed and when I told her
that I had heard the if they are receiving only it was supposed to be OK she
said that as she could not tell if it was receiving only that I needed to turn
it off so I did.  Also with my 60CSx I could only get a lock if I was in a
window seat.

  Jack

Susan Ring <susanmring@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hey everybody,

I?m headed to San Diego for a conference this weekend and I have some
questions:

1. There are a ton of caches near the convention center/marina and I
won?t have much time. Anybody have a recommendation for either a super
good cache or some quick and easy ones? Difficulty factor: HUGE
convention-lots of muggles.

2. I haven?t flown for a long time. What?s the scoop on GPS receivers
on planes? I don?t intend to use it on the plane-any problem with just
carrying it on with me?

3. Is there some new rule about batteries or lithium batteries
specifically? Not OK to carry them on or not OK to put in checked
luggage? I seem to remember reading something about this a while back.

Thanks and everyone have a great time at MOGA-wish I could join you
all. Hope the MOGA magic charm works on the weather!

Susan