[GeoStL] Re: Question about Garmin

  • From: Shane Placeway <placeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:30:04 -0500

The nuvi is a automotive GPS.  It can be used in a pinch for geocaching, but
it definitely isn't designed for it as it is a lot more fragile than a
hiking grade GPSr.  I have a nuvi in the car and have a GSAK macro that will
take my GC packet queries and put them on the nuvi as POI's.  This is nice
because I have them set up so that if I drive within 750 ft. of a cache, the
nuvi will beep and let me know.

I would recommend something like the Legend as I have owned one.  I would,
though, wait for Garmin to release the Legend H, which is equipped with a
high sensitivity GPS receiver.  I don't think they have been released yet,
but I think they are due out by the end of this quarter.