[STL Geocaching] Prohibiting Wilderness Caches

  • From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:04:46 -0600

I may disagree with Nancy Feake and Paul Nazarenko's position, but I don't
see them as the enemy. Nancy is asking for our help in arriving at a
mutually agreeable solution. We need to take advantage of this opportunity
to explain our position as geocachers.

This is my opinion:

* Geocaching enhances awareness of our environment.

* Geocaching improves quality of life.

* Geocachers try NOT to negatively impact the environment. Instead, they try
to improve it (cache in; trash out)

* Geocaching does not encourage massive influx of people into Wilderness
areas; trampling endangered flora. (www.geocaching.com 'find' stats prove
that).

* Geocaching is NOT littering. It is a civilized, increasingly-organized
activity to promote useage/appreciation - mostly on public land. Throwing
trash on the ground should never be confused with placing a cache.

* Existing Park Service and Conservation Area regulations were created
before the birth of geocaching. Therefore, they need to be revised and
cannot be blindly applied to geocaching.

I was one of those who went hunting for the Bell Mountain cache, just before
it's placer was told to remove it by Forester, Paul Nazarenko ( ... it
violates the Wilderness regulation 05-04,#6-36CFR 261.57, prohibits storing
personal property or supplies in all Wilderness areas on the Mark Twain
National Forest ...)

Would I have hiked the trail if there was not a cache there? No. (Therefore,
I would never had enjoyed such as wonder part of nature and a spectacular
view).

Did I have a negative impact on the existing trail or environment during the
hike? No more than any other hiker who WASN'T on the trail looking for a
cache. (I think this is an important point)

If the area of the Mark Twain National Forest where the cache was located is
a Wilderness area, why are there trailheads and markers on the trail guiding
hikers to it?

I'm having a hard time understanding why the Bell Mountain cache placement
(and others like it) got this type of attention from the Forest Service. Had
they taken a more conservative approach, they wouldn't have generated such a
negative response from hardcord geocachers. But it's too late to fix that.
We move to move forward from here.

Paul

repost by gln

Our WebPage!   //www.freelists.org/webpage/geocaching
Mail List & Archive Info.
Environmental msg. of the day, "Save the spotted Cow"