[GeoStL] Re: Pocket Query enhancement

  • From: MBG <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:13:11 -0400

-
There was a topic about a statewide query recently on the groundspeak forums. Someone brought up being able to run it once a week too.
I was able to find this thread at
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=182986
but I thought there was a more recent request, too.

Here's a slightly older thread with a better dialog
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188561
Some possible reasons why groundspeak wouldn't want a statewide query to happen as brought up in the thread
- Ease of sharing PQs with wide range of non-premium members
- Ease of competitor websites copying gc.com database
- Server load (questionable)

Having a team of cachers work together sounds like a good idea.

Another problem with the one statewide query is that I like to have my queries run with my found caches excluded. Not having this option would be no problem for people with GSAK, but what about people with Apple computers? I guess they're in the minority, and its not like they're losing the old method if this new feature is introduced. I actually just installed Parallels on my mac so I could run GSAK :D

FInal note: Found the new thread hahah
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=223013
I don't think there's been a post from a groundspeak developer, yet. Hmmm wonder why?

ben

On Jun 18, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Kirk Yates wrote:

-
Reply: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7:13:33 AM

I wonder if part of the problem would be the size of the attachment.
A lot of email servers have some attachment size limit.

Maybe Geocaching.com could run all the active caches in a state, zip
them up and put them on a ftp server and premium members could go out
and download the state they wanted.

-
Maybe if we all send a note to the forums they will see the
Benefits?

Missouri Geocaching land use policies --> www.MoCache.net
MoGeo Forums -->http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php