[GeoStL] Re: Pocket Query enhancement

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:42:44 -0500

-
Well, as someone who doesn't live to cache, and without a lot of time to spare, I tend to take the GPS and if I have time wherever I happen to be, and see what is around. Sometimes I may be near home. Sometimes it is near Westport. Sometimes out in St. Chuck. Other times in Granite City or other places on the east side. I very rarely find myself in the city, although my daughter lives near Clayton so I might find myself there.

Running a PQ with a center near my home (High Ridge) would get me a lot of stuff that I would never do because it is not one of the areas I would find myself in. I guess I am too lazy to pick overlapping circles around the city that would help me. And of course down the 67 corridor on the way to S-F and Lewellyn. Or down 55 because my finance's sales territory is around Cape / Poplar Bluff.

Anyway, for me, I may not have the luxury of planning a caching trip. Most of mine is ad-hoc and spur of the moment when I am there. So broad coverage is the method that works the best for me. I may run weeks without ever looking for a cache, and then if the one or two I look for I don't find, it can be months. But it is there if I want to do it. I grant you that mine is probably not the typical user profile.

Personally, I would like to see PQs that can be rectangular rather than circular. It would make for less overlap and a lot easier to patchwork several queries together. Pick two coordinate points and construct a "latitude / longitude box". Mathematically a whole lot easier than a circle I would think. No trig involved.

Glenn wrote:
-
Bingo,as they say.