[GeoStL] Park Palooza at the arch

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gc-Maillist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:59:57 -0500

I don't know where the picnic pictures are, but here's some from the Park
Palooza at the arch this weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/45ds2l

Thanks to everyone who spent a day to help out at the arch. We had 2 full days
of talking and demo'ing geocaching. Our tent was one of the busiest on the arch
grounds with almost 800 visitors and a top of 90 in an hour period on Sunday.
The NPS provided us with carrying bags, shirts, trinkets, lunch, and cold water
through the 2 days, and just about anything else we needed.

The park ranger, Sue Ford, was assigned to our venue primarily to answer park
questions or give directions to the visitors. It turned out that she is a
cacher and goes by the name of Topodog, so she was a great help filling in
helping Charlotte and talking with the crowd since only 4 of us were there on
Saturday and out with a group most of the day.

This was a pilot program and the first time it was done within the National
Park Service. They hope to have this event at the Arch again next year if they
get funding. After that they hope start this event at other National parks
throughout the country. We have already been invited back for next year.

Rich