[GeoStL] Re: PDA's

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:13:15 -0600

-
  Thanks Dan.  Bernie

Dan Henke wrote:

-
LOL you guys and your comments ...well maybe I do
exagarate a bit but their are a number of sites to
pick up software for your Palm:

http://www.eurocool.com/

http://www.freewarepalm.com/

http://www.free-palm-software.com/

http://www.download2me.com/free%20palm%20downloads.htm

http://www.palmblvd.com/

I am sure there are others but it gives you an idea of
what is available. I did a Google search on "Free Palm
Software" and got a lot of different sites

Hope these help

Dan (Thunder)

--- Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-
Dan, would you share with us the URL's where you
obtained "tons" of free software. Thanks Bernie

Dan Henke wrote:

-
As a brand new PDA user I can't contribute much to

the

argument of Palm vs Pocket PC. My most important
factor for getting a handheld was cost and the

ability

to cache without paper. I bought a Palm III xe off

of

Ebay for about $60 and it does everthing that I

need

it to do. I can load several 1000 cache pages and
carry them with me. (though I have not yet used it

in

the field caching) I think it is going to be
great...no more paper YEAH!!!!!. The address book

and

other programs that came with it were intuitive and
easy to understand and learn. I can pick up "tons"

of

Palm software free at different sites. And I have

even

beamed information back and forth between different
types of Palms.

So I guess the bottom line of the argument would

have

to be. Will the PDA that you are looking at do want
you want to do? If an older one will do it than why
bother with a newer and much more expensive

model...

Just my thoughts and humble opinion....when it

comes

right down to it you need to buy what YOU want. :D

Dan (Thunder)

--- BottomFeeder <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:

I *think* Glenn's just trying to stir up the pot.
But then, you just never
know about him. <g>

The s/w used for caching purposes on Palm platform
devices is different than
that used on PocketPC's (it's like a Mac vs

Windows

thing....and can get
just as 'religious' at times), but from general
discussion, it seems the
resulting functionality winds up being pretty much
the same.

A couple yr ago, Palm was financially troubled and
in organizational
disarray. And the PocketPC lineup really

leapfrogged

it in capabilities &
built-in features. Sony probably almost
singlehandedly kept the PalmOS
platform alive with it's introduction of a *bunch*
of Palm OS based devices.
For a while it seemed like they were introducing

new

models almost monthly.

But it appears the Palm ship has been pretty much
righted, and the platform
has caught up to PocketPC in most ways. At least
that's my impression from
the 'buzz' in the pda community.

Sony still makes some of the more interesting
devices on either side. The
one thing I don't like is their proprietary

'Memory

Stick' expansion
capabilities. It's fine if you have other Sony
products (digital camera, for
example), but IMO, it's a shame they didn't stick
with the more industry
standard 'SD' or 'CF' options.

I currently have a PocketPc and like it well

enough,

but as someone else
said, whether you go Palm or PPC is really a

matter

of personal preference
these days. One thing worth considering is what
platform your
friends/associates use as those folks will likely

be

your prime 'support'
source when questions/problems arise. If you're
surrounded with more Palm
users, consider that one. If more

PocketPC..........

-= Russ =- (BottomFeeder)