[GeoStL] Re: PDA advice?

  • From: "Matt Purdy" <classicredmiata@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:44:24 -0500

Hard-core Palm user here...

i got involved with the Palm format last August when I bought a Palm IIIxe for $150.  I used the sucker like mad until I upgraded to a Sony Clie NR70V (also a Palm-based organizer, but a bit more pricy at the time at $600).  Anything you can do on a Pocket PC (the OS the Ipac uses) you can do on a Palm, usually much cheaper and easier as well, IMHO.  I can ead, edit, and upload Word and Excel files on my Clie, or any Palm device, for that matter.

What did I get for $600?  I have 16 MB internal memory, a slot for expansion cards (Sony Memory Sticks), a hi-res color screen (which is larger than most other Palm OS devices), a QWERTY thumb keyboard... and when Sony releases their GPS memstick in the 'states I'll be able to turn it into a GPS.  What can I do with it?  I can download webpages (including geocaching.com) for viewing later, take pictures via the built-in digital camera, keep track of my budget on the road with pocket quicken (which I don't think is available for the Pocket PC... if it is somebody please tell me, as my father is trying to find it for his PocketPC), listen to my MP3's, use the IR port as a universal remote control, track the mileage on my car, keep track of my customers and their orders, read e-books... etc, etc, etc...  And no- you don't have to spen $600 to get this- there is a very competent unit at sonystyle.com on clearance for $250.

If you want to just try one out (never a bad idea), make sure that whereever you buy it from has a return policy...  Best Buy has a 2 week return period.  They also have the best Warranty coverage.  If you buy their extended warranty they will issue a voucher for the purchase price if your PDA breaks within 3 years!  Be sure to double-check me on this wherever you live- it might be different...

As far as programs, there is a huge freeware following in the Palm community.  The Palm OS is open for anybody to develop for it and post their programs on the 'net.  The reason why I see so few freeware/shareware going around for the PocketPC is the fact that there is no incentive for a programmer to develop for that platform.  If they came out with a real hit of a program, Microsoft would just 'steal' the main idea for the program, change a few things to avoid copyright infringement, and sell it to people for $60 a shot.  I'm not some wacko against Microsoft- as a biz major I pray my company might be haf as successful as MSFT... but I just see things like hat happening.  The Palm lends itself to open development and therefore, cheap and innovative programs.

Whatever you get, enjoy it and use it!  Tell us what you decide!

Cheers,

Matt

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN! Click Here **************************************************************************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List & Archive Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching The SLAGA E-store http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=SLAGA *****************************************************************************************************