[GeoStL] Re: PDA

  • From: "merkin" <merkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:06:40 -0700

-

The Palm battery is good for about 4 hours if I've got a good charge on it.
I'm yet to go on a cache (or even two at a time) where I'm away from the
vehicle for that long - and when you figure you're turning off the GPS for most
of the hike back, it hasn't been a problem.  The GPSr takes its own batteries,
but 2 AAAs keep it running for 12 hours.  It doesn't drain the batteries at all
if you're plugged into the truck.  A pair of batteries in the GPS will last me
about 3 months.  I have been using Palms now since the first one came out (I
was working for Franklin Covey at the time) so all my shirts have pockets - I
haven't had a problem with ruggedness or water, yet, but I don't rule it out as
being an issue.  With a five-year-old in tow, we have generally limited our
geocaching to "nice" days.

As with anything, there are pros and cons, but this system has worked very,
very well for us.  There are certainly better ways out there, and I'm open to
learning about them.

merkin4

From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:46:56 -0600

>-
>I thought about getting a PDA GPS (the Garmin one).  But my concerns were
>ruggedness and waterproof.  They would seem to be great in the car, but I
>want something waterproof and more rugged to take out in the woods.  I would
>not want to be out in the rain with a PDA GPS or going up and down steep
>hills with a PDA out.  Is not there also a very serious problem with battery
>life if you take it on a long cache?  Have you dealt with any of these
>issues?
>
>My paperless set up is a laptop (which is far superior to any PDA for car
>navigation (other then it is harder to hide and secure form crooks), PDA
>(Sony PEG TG50) and GPS (Garmin Vista and to be upgraded to the new one as
>soon as I can get one).
>
>There are sometimes problems with the paperless system though.  When you
>have to calculate things, lots of times it is much easier if you print it
>out.  But you always need to carry paper and pencil. Sometimes there is a
>picture on the page that you need that will not transfer to your PDA or even
>your laptop.
>
>Once in the field with my PDA, I have a good system worked out.  I use
>Plucker and the note applet (which synchronies with Outlook).  To make
>things much easier, I have Plucker assigned to a hardware button.  That
>allows me to switch back and forth between Notepad and Plucker with a press
>of a button.  My PDA has a keyboard and supports shortcuts for Plucker.
>Once I find the cache, I cut the cache name and number and then paste it
>into notepad and place any comments I have.  Then when I get home I can cut
>and paste the GC number to log the cache and I have a good record of which
>ones I found.
>

>Jim Bensman
>"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field