[GeoStL] Outdoor Navigator

  • From: "BottomFeeder" <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching List" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:18:16 -0500

-
A few in the group may have heard of a product called 'Outdoor =
Navigator'
from www.maptech.com. The Palm version came out well over a yr ago, the
PocketPC version just about this time last year as  I recall. It's more =
or
less topo map s/w with a subscription service for map dl'ing (somewhat
similar to Mapopolis.....driving navigation s/w).

The stuff following my sig is a message I found on the =
www.gpspassion.com
forums from the lead developer of the package. Looks like there are
significant changes coming to the product itself, and more importantly, =
*significant* change in the pricing structure for map dl'ing. Appears to =
me
this should become *very* interesting to anyone with a pda....both Palm =
and
PocketPC.

     -=3D Russ =3D- (BottomFeeder)

________________________________

    quote:Originally posted by Lee

    Any idea if or when Outdoor Navigator will be updated?

I am definitely the person to ask about that!

Version 2.0 is about to come out. There are big changes coming but =
tracks
are not included in this next release. We've gotten very few requests =
for
it.

As much as I'd like to see you purchase the product now, I'd suggest
strongly that you wait a few weeks. Right now the price is $99.95 with
$29.95/year after the first year to continue getting access to the maps.
This is changing with version 2.0:

- Price will be $19.95 complete.
- Access to the map web site will not require a subscription - it will =
be
continually available without any additional fees.
- No maps time out - once downloaded, they'll work forever.
- All 60,000 maps are part of the product - all NOAA and all USGS maps =
(just
as before).
- No capabilities have been removed at all.
- Full support for import and export of marks and routes with other =
Maptech
software has been included.

Included will be a basic version of Outdoor Manager. Much more is being
added to that product in the next couple of months after 2.0 is out.

Subject field