[GeoStL] Re: Our boy BruceS/Cache Expiration

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

Just my 2 cents worth as well....I live in an area
where until I placed my caches there were none.....I
had a grand total of 3 or 4 caches within 10 miles of
my house. If I pull my caches after 90 days there will
be none here and while I could place them a few 100's
feet or yards away I think it would be pointless. The
caches here are still found but the time between finds
varies from a few days to as much as a month. If I
would archive my caches every 90 days I might have as
many as 3 people find it....I think that it should
depend on where the cache is located and how many are
around it. Also I pull the descriptions of the caches
in a given area at one time and if I don't get them
all or don't get to them immediately and then don't
pull a fresh description down I would miss a lot of
those that have been archived....I have done this
twice and there is nothing more frustrating than
looking for a cache and not finding it and then going
to the web page to find that it had been pulled the
day before :(

In bigger cities I think it should depend on how many
times a cache is still found or actually it should
depend on the cache owner. If he/she is ready to place
a new  cache and one of their's is not being visited
very often then by all means pull it and hide a new
one in the same area....but it should be the cache
owners perogative and not a mandated rule

Dan (Thunder)
--- Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Dan,
> You just made the point that I going to launch into.
> Most of my caches could
> come or go and I would not really care. I know all
> the "old timers" have
> done them all and (mostly) enjoyed them. There are
> new cachers popping up
> all the time that haven't done them.   Maybe they
> would like to see where
> "Buck" liked to go or just what the heck is out at
> "Ghosts" too.  Sure I
> could move them a few hundred feet, call it a new
> cache but that seems
> stupid. Sure, it would be an opportunity for all the
> old guys to go claim
> another cache but the whole exercise seems rather
> pointless to me.
>
> Having caches too close together.  I think there is
> a point where there
> would be too many caches in an area but it would be
> hard to say what it
> would be. I don't think "Rt66" or "Kertcher for
> Kids" negatively impacts
> "Ghosts" and they're all within 1/2 a mile but they
> all with different
> views. Three more caches at Lake 36 however, would
> be pushing the limit just
> a tad but your multicache near there doesn't overdo
> it at all. So for me
> it's a conundrum. I want another cache near
> "Disassembly"  'cause I found a
> really neat spot near there but I think I may wait.
> Some people will go
> there anyway but others may not find it. I am still
> undecided.
>
> Glenn

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com