[GeoStL] Re: Organization and probably another stupid question.. LONG

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:42:13 -0500

-
OK, only because ya asked.....  deep breath., here goes.

  A long, long time ago in the land before dinosaurs and even before
"SLAGA"  (back on 7/21/2001)  I  needed a way to communicate the status of
the archived Chain Mail cache  to the rest of the geocachers in the
area.  Since the cache was archived, no one would ever see the message and
I was stuck. I  realized what was needed was an area wide communications
system of some sort. I first set up the "Local News - St. Louis"  cache
page and posted a  note there about the cache.  Almost immediately, cachers
started to leave messages and start discussions of how cachers were dealing
with park officials. It wasn't long before folks wanted to meet and go
caching together.  The "Local News"  cache page served the area well as the
main communications method.   During the Summer of '01,  Steve & Connie
made several attempts to have group picnic and by September 30th, 2001 they
pulled it off in grand style.  Nineteen or so geocachers showed up and in
celebration of their good time,  WTMRN prepared and planted a cache in the
name of the "St. Louis Area Geocachers." . The "Local News was still
serving the area well but was starting to feel the stress. hundreds of logs
where there and it took forever to get the page to load.  As the geocaching
activities grew in St. Louis and as the messages on the Local News cache
page piled up it was very clear that some other form of area communication
was sorely needed. I  went in search of a e-maillist company and set up the
SLAGA newsgroup on  January 21st, 2002.  on the freelist server because it
was FREE and didnt clog half the email with spam, graphics and adds for
stuff that no one wanted.   I looked at yahoo but there was just too much
baggage that came with it. I had signed up with yahoo to check it out and
my spam level immediately went up 10 fold.  By the end of the week there
were 5 members signed up, Me, RGS, Kono, Barammus and Team Family affair.
The group used the emil list to plan the 1st  group hike to Butchs' cache
at Bell Mountain to celebrate the 300th cache find of BruceS.  We have been
using it ever since.  As far as changing your email delivery
options.  Those can be changed right on the SLAGA website or from the link
that goes out with nearly every email.

Since I was looking stuff up, here are some interesting tidbits.

On the March 2002 SLAGA webpage there were 18 members listed, BruceS had
485 caches and Ma & Pa had 40, five group hikes were in the bag and the
newest cache listed was
<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18133>Carondolet by
Snackbar.

On some date which I forgot,  the SLAGA leadership moved the single page
website that I started to a site with it's own domain name of
<http://www.geostl.com/>www.GeoStl.com. Under the direction of webmaster
Kono, the site was developed into the wonderful group of webpages SLAGA has
today.

By May, 2002 there were 38 members on the books.
By July, 2002 SLAGA was preparing for the 1000th cache find for BruceS.
By August 02 SLAGA  hit 50 members,
Brawney Bear signed up on 11/29/02 and by December the membership was at
100!!
140 members we enlisted by February ' 03 and as of August '03 there are 200
members in the SLAGA Member database.

------------
The short answer is that while the yahoo and MSN sites offer lots of stuff,
you have a constant flow of spam with each email. This extra stuff is
unwanted and clogs the servers with junk. Yahoo and such places pretty much
stink and far as spam load and junk is concerned.  I did set stuff up for
that but I really didnt want to get involved with all the baggage that goes
with it.

Sorry, but you asked.... :-)

glenn

At 08:14 PM 7/11/2004, Sara Gomer wrote:

>-
>If you feel up to typing it i'll listen to (or rather read) the points of
>the long one, otherwise the short one will suffice.
>Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-
>Well, since you brought it up. there is a short answer and a long
>answer. which one do ya wanna read about?
>
>gln
>

>At 08:02 PM 7/11/2004, you wrote:
>
> >-
> >Out of curiousity, why was the group set up on a dedicated site for email
> >lists rather than something like the yahoo groups (I know the Ozark
> >geocachers are on yahoo).?
> >
> >I don't have much experience w/them but thay have a calendar feature built
> >into them, it's easy to change how often or what emails you get (single
> >mails, daily digest, special notices, no email, etc). Depending how they
> >are set up there are sections to upload photos and other things as well.
> >
> >Just an additional thought that hadn't been thrown out yet. I'm sure it
> >was probably considered before the mail list we currently use was choosen
> >and that there is a good reason yahoo wasn't choosen.

Glenn
Care to help support the
Missouri Geocachers Assoc site?
http://tinyurl.com/2otzu