[GeoStL] Re: One of my caches.

  • From: "Jim Williams" <jwilliams2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:11:24 -0500

-
OOOOOOoooo....

A Jeep friendly cache :)

I might have to check that one out!

-----Original Message-----
From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Drei Michels
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 11:12 AM
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] One of my caches.

-
This is a log I got from Near One Horse Gap cache, and I thought that I
would share it with you all.

 September 5 by The Southlanders (61 found)
Wow, what can I say this was awesome, We couldn't find it but the
experience rivaled some caching we did in colorado in may. Well to start
off we determined that a forest road would get you close to the cache as
the cache owner had mentioned. We made the trek in our Jeep wrangler tj,
its stock with 30" tires and there were no ground clearance issues, but
it was very close at times. At one point a small tree was down halfway
in the road and we had to clear it in 4 low. The forest roads appeared
to be used mostly by atvs and nothing wider than a wrangler will fit so
keep it in mind. (we had to fold in one mirror once) The road isn't very
muddy, but is very very rocky,average speed was 2-5mph. We took a forest
connecting road in and the shorter way out which we couldn't find at
first to go in. If you decide to attempt this way go prepared. We have
tire plugs, a spare and a warn 8000lbs winch (Don't forget your tree
saver strap!) just in case. If you get stuck you are probably on your
own as we seen no one at all going in or out or while we were there for
that matter, and theres no way a tow truck can even get close even if a
cell phone were to work. Remember Tread lightly!, there is no reason to
go off the road at all! Well anyway we drove within 320 ft off the cache
parked in what almost looked like a parking lot (It even had a firepit
and grill that was trash free!). And the search began. First we were
stuck trying to find a way down, we found a few ways but they were
risky, then we realized that there was a very easy way that we missed.
Once we were down one horse gap we searched below a cliff and decided it
must be up top. After navagating around to get to the proper area up top
of the cliff we searched everywhere we could think of and we just
couldn't find it anywhere. It was starting to get dark so we decided to
abandoned the search and head back. It was quite the adventure, scary
almost as it was quiet and no one was around. We noticed the new one
horse gap sign on the way up and and admired the router work. This is
definately one of SI's many out of the way treasures.
Thanks for the cache (even though we didn't find it)
The Southlanders

Drei Michels
Systems Manager
RiverFront Times