[GeoStL] On the road

  • From: "Mark Schiefelbein" <mark_schief@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:55:52 -0700

-
Hello--

I haven't been very active in geocaching in Missouri lately, but I guess I kind of have an excuse. I left Columbia in the end of December, and I'm taking some time off (somewhere between six months and a year, it looks like) to travel overland across Asia on a shoestring budget. I've actually been in China for about a month now...my eventual goal is Istanbul, Turkey, where Asia meets Europe.

I've set up a little web site to keep the people I know back home appraised of what I'm up to, but it was suggested to me that perhaps the good folks of SLAGA might be interested in checking it out too. It's at <http://asiatrip.cjb.net>. I'm trying to make it less about what I visit (because that would be boring both to write and to read), and more about what it's like to be in the places I go.

From a geocaching standpoint, I've only bagged a few so far, but they've been some pretty interesting ones. My caching's included being the first finder on a microcache hidden inside the walls of the Forbidden City in Beijing, which is definitely one of my favorite caching expriences ever. (I'm also proud to report that it now contains a SLAGA business card!) There's some more I intend to visit in Shanghai and Hong Kong, but after that the pickings on my route vary between slim (India) and none (Bangladesh, Nepal, etc.)...on the whole, I'll probably end up hiding more caches than finding them, which is okay too. I may be able to single-handedly raise the country total on the geocaching.com front page by half a dozen or so, depending on which way I go.

Anyway, check out the website if you want, and I'll try to send a brief email here when it's updated (probably once every several weeks or month). I'm still on the list, but I don't get the messages...since I don't always know how regularly I'll be able to check my email, it would be easy to get flooded by the listserv if I can't get to it for a week or two. My email address still works for direct off-list messages though.

In the meantime, my caches in Columbia are being looked after for me by tangerine and remain active. I heartily recommend a daytrip out that way for anyone who's not been caching there; for its size Columbia is lucky to have several people who enjoy hiding thoughtful and creative caches. I'm looking forward to hunting what gets placed in my absence!

--mark/ooga booga