[GeoStL] Re: OT? Resource for determining when it gets "Dark"?

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:31:19 -0500

Nothing to do with thinking I are one, just proves I can read:-) And I have NO
idea what all this means!

And no one posted the answer???????

Well, since the sun rotates 1 degree just under 4 minutes (3.999 roughly), it
s/b easy to multiply 4 by 18 and come up with 72 minutes. Of course that's if
you want dark dark. Light dark s/b about 1 minute after sunset and medium dark
somewhere in between the two.

I'd think the plan would be to go out at sunset tonight since it's a clear day
and see when you think it's dark enough for a movie. Sunset is at 7:  PM but
for north county there's no telling.

The following information is provided for St. Louis, Missouri (longitude W90.2,
latitude N38.6):

Sunday
        24 August 2008        Central Daylight Time

                         SUN
        Begin civil twilight       5:56 a.m.
        Sunrise                    6:23 a.m.
        Sun transit                1:03 p.m.
        Sunset                     7:42 p.m.
        End civil twilight         8:10 p.m.

So now another term has entered, "civil twilight". So here is that explanation:

Civil twilight

This begins in the morning when the center of the Sun is less than 6° below the
horizon (the point of civil dawn), and ends at sunrise. Evening civil twilight
begins at sunset and ends when the center of the Sun is more than 6° below the
horizon (the point of civil dusk).
The brightest stars appear during civil twilight, as well as planets, such as
Venus which is known as the 'morning star' and/or 'evening star'. During this
period there is enough light from the Sun that artificial sources of light may
not be needed to carry on outdoor activities. This concept is sometimes
enshrined in laws, like when drivers of automobiles must turn on their
headlights, or if the crime of burglary is to be treated as night-time
burglary, which carries stiffer penalties in some jurisdictions. A fixed period
of time (most commonly 30 minutes after sunset or before sunrise) is typically
used in such statutes, rather than how many degrees the Sun is below the
horizon. Civil twilight can also be described as the limit at which twilight
illumination is sufficient, under good weather conditions, for terrestrial
objects to be clearly distinguished; at the beginning of morning civil
twilight, or end of evening civil twilight, the horizon is clearly defined and
the brightest stars are visible under good atmospheric conditions in the
absence of moonlight