[GeoStL] Re: Now that it's warm out, be extra careful!

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 04:43:00 -0500

-   Eric, good info. Thanks. Bernie.

Eric & Dayna East wrote:
-
If you are ever bitten by a snake, DO NOT attempt to treat it yourself you will only make it worse. Especially, DO NOT make any incisions you may cause serious injury or even DEATH by cutting an atery!
The best thing to do is remain calm & get to a hospital immediately. If it is possible take the snake with you for proper identification.

Chances are (in this area) that you are not going to be bitten and if you are it's very unlikely that it will be from a venomous snake since there are only 2 possibilities, the copper head (most likely) & rattlesnake both of which are seldom encountered unless you are looking for them. Regardless of what you've been told, there are NO naturally occurring cottonmouth this far north!

Given the location of the bitten cacher it may have been anyone of the 3. But probably a cotton mouth or darkly colored rattler.

God bless!

Believer

----- Original Message ----- From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl@xxxxxxx>