[GeoStL] Note from Jeremy on Virtuals

  • From: "Richard Sheffold" <GC-RGS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:42:55 -0500

Just read this on another site about the future of virtuals. Don’t know how
current this is.

  This is from Jeremy on the geocaching.com fourm:

  In the UserVoice updates I never said that virtuals were coming back in their
previous form, but instead something would be available that should capture the
interest in virtuals without the baggage (such as the subjective review
process).

  To me, this is the most exciting project that we've worked on in years, but
it will take some time to iterate through the idea and I know we'll get some
things wrong, but the framework is solid. We'll be investing a substantial
amount of effort with this project moving forward.

  Some points:

    a.. It will be on Geocaching.com, not a new web site. It will be a separate
section in the beta, but I expect it to be integrated into a joined search at
some point.
    b.. Currently they will not go towards your find count, but it might at
some point. It won't at the beginning though.
    c.. It will be a visible statistic, so you will see them on the profile, on
the logs, etc.
    d.. We'll be hopefully launching with mobile applications to compliment the
activity. I expect that the majority of participants will be using smartphones,
but we will have components (Pocket Queries, GPX file downloads, etc) for
traditional GPS devices.

  For the comments that we should involve the community more, we do. We don't
have a public discussion about it, instead working with a smaller sampling of
geocachers.