[GeoStL] Re: North county

  • From: "tnsl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:43:26 -0600

Maybe, maybe not.    I think people  probably tend to think in terms of the 270
East-West Corridor, but as Timothy just pointed out, St.Charles Rock Road is
also considered North County to..hmmm  what ..  Lindbergh? 70?  I think maybe
1-70   (that's  One-Seventy not *I* 70) is sometimes  overlooked, but it is
still in North County to .. Page?  (And if there is  a car jacking or shooting
at Northwest Plaza the news media will be CERTAIN to point out that it's North
County --  ok editorial  over...  )

You could consider breaking the Bookmarks up in to 270 corridor with a
north/south road boundary and an  1-70 corridor etc.

Some of it is perspective --  I would tend to group all the Spanish Lake,
Conservation Area and Jones State Park caches into an easily accessible route
and also throw in the Rest Area and Old Chain of Rocks Bridge -- which is
St.Louis City. And if you are going out 367, why not cross the Missouri  river
and pick up the caches in St.Charles County in West Alton and the Wetlands area
(which includes the Travel bug Hotel.)

Looking at a map, you could include  Hwy 367 from Jennings Station Road on the
south (Still IN the county)to the Mississippi east to the Mississippi north.
That would pick up a couple of current south of 367 plus any you guys have
planned.    I may consider throwing in your caches off New and Old Halls Ferry
as well as the ones near Flo Valley and Hudson Park and Jeske Park.

I would tend to look at it as we do when we travel. How many caches can we get
off of one major highway without too many stoplights, subdivisions etc.  For
someone coming through on 270, 367 may be a bit longer in miles, but it's
fairly accessible (now).

I tend to break Florissant and Hazelwood (both north and south of 270)  both
out of this group because Florissant and Hazelwood are  more difficult to
navigate.  For example, I think it's much easier and a more direct route to get
to West Alton and the Wetlands (and even Alton) than it is to get to Sioux
Passage. Technically Forest Park caches are closer to my house than Alton, IL,
Forest Park is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles away lol.

Also, UMSL is in North County as is Endicott and St.Vincent -- but I would tend
to group those into a day of caching along 1-70 to Olive to Lindbergh and then
north from there.  A mid county kind of thing.

Nancy

Rest Area, bridge, back to 270 to south on Bellefontaine for two current
quickies (plus any you guys have planned).. back track on Bellefontaine to
Larimore Park.Columbia Bottom Conservation, back to Spanish Lake, Parker Road
to Bellefontaine Road for  Coldwater Creek virtual..  back to 367 north and
pick up West Alton and the Wetlands. Straight shot back to 270 OR ..  wander
out to Sioux Passage.  But, again, thinking in terms of people driving through,
I'd probably look at a map and wonder, "Just how do I get there from here?"
Also, as a person driving through, I'd probably be interested in getting a look
at at least one confluence cache.   (I'll also assume this also may incorporate
the final location for some the puzzle caches you've put out that I only just
now discovered -- never rec'd notification ..  )