[GeoStL] Nintendo DS/GPS

  • From: Joe Taylor <rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:32:29 -0700 (PDT)

Yep I just did a little research myself.  My brother told me he could get a GPS
for $30.  that made me a little suscpicious.  I seen this sight as well when I
saw KF message pop up
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/nintendo_ds/dreaming/nds-gps-1.htm

So this will have Waypoint programming capabilities just like Garmin or
Magellan?

Now for another important question.  I know we want to popularize our game, but
is it wise to have a bunch of kids running all over the wilderness without
outdoors skills for example if they run out of batteries and did not expect
that to happen, and have no experience finding thier way back using a compass
or spotting a GeoPath?

A question is, and I know this is going to create a bunch of controversy.  Are
kids ready for GPS?  Even if it is meant for versions of Capture the flag or
Role Playing games?

Know Future <know_future@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Looks real:

http://www.redskymobile.com/pr20040204.html

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:49:37 -0700 (PDT) Joe Taylor
<rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

My brother informed me that he may be getting a GPS system.  I took him to a
few geocaches befoer.  He seems interested, but is a little slower paced... Has
a problem with "Water on the Knee".

I may be doing some urban caches in St louis so he can get an enjoyment for
geocaching.  Well when I asked him what kind of GPS he may be interested in he
said that Nintendo is comming out with a new system.

This new system - he tells me - will have a GPS as part of the system.  I dont
know if it is a handheld thing like a gameboy, or if it will be used for
gameplaying like capture the flag.  I have heard about HAM Radio GPS's where
you can have a GPS with a transmitter as well and play hide and seek games.
Maybe Nintendo has an idea.

If this is true we can reach a whole new generation of Geocachers.... But be
careful it also might mean a new generation of GeoPirates as well.

Does anyone know about this new supposed or heard of this new Nintendo system
with GPS capabilities?

Joe Taylor
IS IT FRIDAY YET?

Check out my NEW Web Page
Favorite GC - Stories and Adventures
UPDATED - JUNE 9,2005

Rockey the Flying Squirrell

 What is Geocaching (In case you are not in the Geocaching Mailing Groups)

http://mail.yahoo.com

JURA BAR QBBE PYBFRF NABGURE QBBE BCRAF